Residence Visa for family reunification
Eligible citizens: All foreign citizens who are not nationals of EU Member States, the European Economic Area and Switzerland, family members of a legal resident in Portugal who wish to join the valid residence permit holder.
The following are considered family members:
• The spouse;
• Minors or incapable children under guardianship of the couple or of one spouse;
• Minors adopted by an unmarried applicant, by a married applicant or by the spouse, following decision taken by the relevant authority of the country of origin, provided that its legal framework comprises the same rights and duties of natural filiation and provided that such decision is acknowledged by Portugal;
• Children who are of full age, unmarried and dependent of the couple or of one of the spouses, and study in an education establishment, regardless of the Country in which that establishment is located;
• First-degree relatives in the direct ascending line of the resident or his/her spouse, provided that they are dependent on them;
• Minor siblings provided they are under the tutelage of the resident, in accordance with a decision made by the relevant authority of the country of origin, and provided that such decision is recognised by Portugal.
To have your visa issued, you will be requested to present (for application from your home country):
Application form (available in SEF's website);
Passport or other travel document;
Two identical photos, passport size;
The ticket that ensures your return (no longer applicable)
Valid travel insurance, which can cover the expenses necessary for medical reasons, including urgent medical assistance and possible repatriation;
Form allowing the Portuguese Authorities to check your Criminal Record in Portugal;
Criminal record certificate from the country of origin or the country where the applicant resided for more than one year;
Proof of means of subsistence;
Notification of acceptance of family reunification delivered by the Foreigners and Borders;
Evidence of the alleged kinship: birth certificate or marriage certificate.
Please notice that if you apply for family reunification from Portugal, the list of documents is different.
If you want our assistance to apply for this visa, please contact us.